Sunday, October 19, 2008

Soccer & Sunflowers

The kids and I planted these sunflowers in May using seeds we harvested from last years sunflowers. We had fun watching them grow all summer long. The tallest reached a height of maybe 9 feet.

There was one plant in particular which self seeded on its very own for which I was especially fond of. It was the largest of them all since it had a head start and looked quite promising, that is until it started to droop.

I tried to gently force it upward but I snapped the head right off just like that. It was a devastating blow. I felt so guilty. Poor sunflower. Learning my lesson, I used string & the fence to support the other sunflowers. They magically straightened their heads out within a few days. I was amazed by this.

I'm sure this story would make a useful analogy somehow ... Ummm, you can't force a kid to eat their vegetables or they'll snap your head off? No, that's not it.


















Jacob had his last soccer game this Saturday.


He really enjoyed playing. He had a great group of boys from the neighborhood. I think it was a huge confidence booster for all the boys on the team and they all got along so well. This in no small part due to the great coaches; Coach Eric and Matt. Thanks guys! And thanks to Jana and Aimee who printed the schedules, made phone calls and made certain snacks and drinks were there after each game. The most important part of soccer to be sure.

Here are the boys warming up before their last game. Just prior to this video being taken Jacob nailed Sean, the goalie, super hard right in the noggin'. Sean took it like a pro though. You can hear Sean's dad, Andy, in this clip teasing Jacob.

1 comment:

brees said...

I was waiting to see if you or Ann toilet papered each others house! Ha! Send me your email address so I can invite you to my blog-Brooke Rees johnnyslc30469@netzero.com